Skip to content


Care in your own home

Provision of care in England can be arranged privately or through the NHS or local authority social services. Any decision as to whose responsibility it is to provide care can have significant financial consequences for you.

The average cost of living in a residential home in England is approximately £30,000 per year and in a nursing home, over £42,000 per year. So, in addition to often being the better choice for emotional well-being – remaining in your own home can also be the better financial choice.

It is therefore important to receive the correct advice and guidance about your care funding options.

How do I arrange my care?

We would ask you to telephone your local office and arrange a meeting with the registered manager. This meeting can take place at your home, at our offices, or anywhere that is convenient for you. It will be at a time to suit you and should you wish to have someone you trust present, we are happy to discuss our services with them too.

How quickly can my care package be out into place?

We understand that needs and circumstances can change very quickly, therefore we are able to react just as fast. Please telephone your local office and speak with the registered manager who can start putting plans in place immediately if necessary.

Is there someone to speak to on the end of the telephone?

Yes, at Flexicare we have a dedicated team of the head of staff who are available to answer your call at all times, we do not operate a complicated automated answering service. In addition, we have an out of office telephone number should you require our assistance in an emergency which is manned 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How do I know my carer is suitable?

At Flexicare all of our staff are trained to the highest of standards and have full updates in training every 3 years (see training page) In addition we carry out full CRB checks on all staff and have regular supervisions and appraisals throughout the year to monitor them. We are confident that all our carers are knowledgeable and experienced in all aspects of care. We look carefully at your requirements and ensure that they will be fully competent in providing you with outstanding service.

Will I always have the same carer?

At Flexicare we believe in building relationships and the relationship between you and the carer is the most important. We understand that it is a big decision to allow someone into your home and building up trust and a rapport will be difficult if you never see the same carer twice! Therefore we will always do our best to send the same carer, however, if this is not possible, we will send another dedicated member of our team to ensure your needs are met.

What happens if I want to change carer?

This is not a problem, should you find that you have not built a rapport with a carer or you simply wish to change carers please telephone the office and speak with the manager. Your request will be dealt with discreetly and in the strictest of confidence and a new carer will be provided.

Do I have to pay my carer at the end of each visit?

No, the carer will never be paid directly by you and will never ask for money from you. We will ensure that you are fully aware of all charges at the initial stages and we can discuss payment options and funding with you to ensure everything is taken care of before your package begins.

Do you only provide care within the home?

No, our packages are designed to suit you and your lifestyle. Should you require assistance outside of the home we are happy to accommodate you. This could be help at the supermarket, at a local club, on a day trip, cinema or even on holiday. If you tell us your requirements, we will find a suitable way to accommodate you in your daily life!

Can you help with funding?

Yes, we are more than happy to discuss funding options available and what you could benefit from. Our registered manager will be please to discuss this with you and your advocate at an initial meeting.

How can you validate your services?

We are proud to have hundreds of genuine testimonials from satisfied people spanning 15 years to certify our services and we can share these with you at the initial meeting. In addition, we are fully compliant with the Care Quality Commission and we are members of the United Kingdom Home Care Association.

What happens if my needs change?

If you find that your needs have changed, this is not a problem, we will simply reassess your package and work with you to decide how best to support you. In most case, your care package can be altered quickly and effortlessly.

Am I entitled to any state benefits to help pay for my care?

The answer may be Yes – you could be eligible for Attendance Allowance or Personal Independence Payment, even if you have savings.

Attendance Allowance for age 65 and over

If you are over the age of 65 and have needed assistance with care (e.g. through family, friends or a care provider) for more than the last six months, you may be entitled to Attendance Allowance. You do not disclose your financial circumstances when claiming this benefit as it is non-means tested.

If you need care support during the day and at night, the benefit, if awarded, maybe at the higher rate of £79.15 per week

If you need care support during the day or during the night (but not both), the benefit if awarded is £53.00 per week.

(Note: above rates are as at January 2014).

Alternatively, you can apply direct through

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for adults under age 65

If you are an adult under the age of 65, you might be entitled to claim PIP to help pay for care support costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability.

The benefit, if awarded, ranges from £21 to £134.49 a week, depending on how your condition affects you.

You can learn more about applying for an assessment direct through

NHS continuing health care

If you are eligible, the NHS can fund part or all of your healthcare and local authorities can fund part or all of your social and personal care.

To be eligible for NHS continuing healthcare, you must be assessed as having a “primary health need” and have a complex medical condition and substantial ongoing care needs. The assessment does not take into account your financial situation. For the latest information please refer to the NHS website We can pass this information to you on request.

If you are not eligible for full NHS continuing healthcare, your local authority social services may be able to help with funding all or part of your care costs. How much they pay depends on your care needs, income and the amount of your savings. In other words, they are means-tested.

How can I pay for care when I have no savings?

You can contact your local social services department and ask for a care assessment. It is always a good idea to assess your own care needs or have someone do this for you before they arrive.

The local social services will conduct their own care assessment, taking into account your self-assessment. If they find that your care needs meet the Local Authority’s eligibility criteria, they will carry out a financial assessment to establish how much, if anything, you should contribute towards the cost of care service. The Local Authority have a legal duty to pay, all or part, of the cost of the care you require if your savings are below £23,250.

I am not happy with the carers provided by Social Services. Can I have my care provided by an independent care provider?

Yes. You may be given payments, known as Direct Payments, into a special bank account from which you pay for the care support you require from a care provider of choice. Simply contact your local social services department and they will explain the full process to you. Your Care manager will also help you if requested.

Will I have to use my savings to pay for my care?

If you have savings of less than £23,250 the Local Authority would normally pay all or part of your care costs, depending on your care and financial assessment.

Normally, if you have savings of more than £23,250 you will have to pay your own care costs until your savings go below this amount. However, it’s still worth going ahead and contacting the local authority for a needs assessment, regardless of your financial situation.

What will happen when my savings have gone?

As soon as your savings near £23,250 you should contact your local social services department and ask for a review of your care needs and a new financial review.

Will I have to sell my home to pay for my care?

No – as long as you remain living in your own home, your home is not included as a financial asset.

However, if you move into a residential or nursing home, your own home would normally be included as a financial asset unless it is also occupied by your partner, a relative who is over 60 or incapacitated; or a dependent child under 16.